If my ex gave me a gaming chair for Christmas, and we just…

If my ex gave...

If my ex gave me a gaming chair for Christmas, and we just now broke up, do I have to give her the chair back? She has threatened to call the cops

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The gaming chair is still at my house

3/27/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

NO! You do not have to return the chair. It was a gift. when you receive a gift it becomes yours. You do not have to return it.

There are some exceptions for engegemtngifts that are considered conditional. Like an engagement ring. But that is not this. The chair is yours. The police will not do anything about it. They may visit you to ask about it. If they do tell them "it was a gift to you, and any dispute over it is a Civil Matter."

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

She has stated in an email today that the chair was not a gift. I have no proof of any messages or emails saying that it was. It was given to me around Christmas time and that she can take it. Is the answer still no?

Her saying that it is not a gift NOW doesn't change that it was a gift.

She has to prove that it was NOT a gift. Since it was given to you at Christmas time that certainly suggests its a gift.

The reality is that she is only using this as an excuse to interact with you. If it was not the chair it would be something else. The best thing that you cna do for yourself (and her too) is to stop interacting with her completely.

Don't take her calls, don't respond to email, texts, or social media.

Keep the chair if you want to. It belongs to you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer