A woman I was with got pregnant and I was told it was mine.

I have since learned she...
A woman I was with got pregnant and I was told it was mine. I have since learned she was with 2 other men around the same time. The pregnancy was terminated but abortion that I paid for. I only paid for the abortion because I felt obligated to. Can I sue her in small claims court to recover the money since I was deceived.
3/27/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Can I ask you a question? How much did the abortion cost you?

$800
That’s a lot of money for me

Okay, the reason I ask is because suing also has a cost - and the odds of you recovering any of your money are VERY low since it's impossible to prove a) that it's not your baby and b) that the money was anything other than a gift. Please let me know if I've answered your question. I understand that this is not good news and I apologize for that. I hope you don't take it out on me or my rating... I have an ethical responsibility to tell you what the law actually is - and even if I didn't have that obligation I'd still want you to avoid a legal headache if I possibly can help you avoid that! So I just need you to know what you're up against. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
That’s a fine answer, I can’t help that it won’t help me. Thanks.

My pleasure. I'm happy to help - although I wish I could give you GOOD news! If you need anything in the future please reach out.

Can I send her this in a text message?Man I wish you were honest with me tonight. I would like the $800 back that I paid for your abortion, I'm asking nicely. I will look into what it will take for a small claims court if I'm I'm unable to recover from you civilly.

Of course you can.

Is illegal to send that? I guess that’s a better question?

You're not saying anything inappropriate in your message. You're not threatening her in any way. It is not illegal, no.

Thank you! 5 stars again!

Happy to help :) Thanks so much for your rating! And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by going to:

https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800