My 38 YO daughter lives in Ohio with her boyfriend. I live…

Hi, my 38 YO...

Hi, my 38 YO daughter lives in Ohio with her boyfriend. I live in Arizona. On April 16th my daughter had a child, they both tested positive for Meth. An Ex-Parte hearing was held on Monday, April 19th without my notice. Upon contacting CPS and trying to work with them regarding temporary custody they were very evasive about telling me what the procedure is to go that route. I offered my personal information, as well as, my husbands so that they could do a background check on us since we are willing to move back to Ohio to be there for our grandchild. 2 days after the initial communications with CPS I found out that they never ran our background checks and the Judge granted another couple temporary custody. The baby still is in the hospital and I cannot, nor have I ever been able to get any information on him regarding his health. What do I need to do, besides ask the Judge to be added as a party to the case?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Ohio family court?

I have taken none with the courts, I have however, contacted the clerk who advised me to write a letter to the Judge asking to be added as a party to the case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Did you do what the clerk told you to do?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in the process of writing him a letter to ask to be a party to the case.

There may be another way also. It is called a Notice of Appearance. It is officially filed when someone want to appear in an action. You may want to ask the clerk for a form for that. Sometimes, Judges cannot do anything with letters. So, filing something in the case could also be helpful.

Here is a link to a sample form. You would have to adapt it to your case:

https://www.surpriseaz.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/4234

The clerk may have the form too.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My daughter and her boyfriend are habitual alcohol and drug abusers. Even if they had never touched either substance, they are still immature and would not be able to care for a child. Her boyfriend becomes very verbal when drunk and has been known to choke her during an argument. I worry that this atmosphere would only do harm towards my grandson.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to know if CPS willfully failed to run a background check on me and my husband how does that look in court? I gave them my information and was told they never ran a check, because " they just don't have the time and resources". Where does this leave me?

You can present this situation to the Judge. If the Judge finds the CPS failed in its duties, the Judge could reprimand CPS and possibly apply penalties. So it is something to bring up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for that information, I figured the Judge would not be too happy about that since CPS knew I was trying to be involved and they made no mention to him. He is on vacation and won't be back until April 3rd. ( by the way, my dates were wrong) They are March dates and not April for the birth and court date. They knew I was willing to move back to OH, but never let the Judge know. My concern is; how do I need to structure my letter to the Judge to let him know I am taking this very serious. What if my daughter does not want me to have temporary custody, will the Judge consider that or do I still have grandparent rights?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did follow that link that you sent me, it appears that the form is for an attorney to use and not a lay person.
Oh yes. There could be a form for a lay person also. If the clerk says that there is not one, then I guess you will have to do the letter. I was thinking of other options.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, the situation is that I live in Arizona and they live in Ohio. The mother ( my daughter) does not want me to have temporary custody because she says that I "know her past drug and alcohol history" and "the other temporary custodial parents do not".
I am willing to move to OHIO to care for my grandson. With the information you have so far, what do you think my chances are of gaining temporary custody? I know that the parents will not be able to stay off the drugs and alcohol. The father has 8 other children, who he cannot see without supervision. For the same reasons...drugs, alcohol and domestic violence. How do I form a letter without looking like I am trashing them, but also at the same time doing what is in the best interest and safety of my grandson?

The chances are stronger if you have a strong relationship with the child - that the child knows you and has spent a lot of time with you. Since you are across state lines, that could make it tougher. The Judge will look at "what is in the best interest of the child." So, the stronger your argument is that the best interest of the child is to be with you as grandparents, the more the Judge will favor your position.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney