In the past 2 weeks I have been in a hiring process with…

Hi. My name...

Hi. My name is***** In the past 2 weeks I have been in a hiring process with Calmena Energy Services (calmenaenergyservicesinc.com) to work in the UK, and this morning they sent the contract. My concern is that they are asking me to pay one of their services to get a working visa and that I would be reimbursed later. I have checked in internet but can't find anything relating to a scam be them. I am extremely distrustful of this. Please advise.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Mexico City.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

They sent me a questionaire and had an interview. They have not asked for money until the contract came in today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically to know whether this is a scam or is it legit.

I sent 2 files a few minutes ago (contract and e-mail). Did you get them?
3/26/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

How did you find out about this job? What sort of interview was conducted? Who are you to pay for the so-called visa and by what means?

Zoey. Will do. Thankyou. Do you need additional information? Did you receive the files I attached?

No, I haven't received any files. You have to upload them to this question thread. Use the link that says +Add files to the left of the Send button. I may not even need them because it doesn't matter how good the contract looks if nothing is legitimate.

I did ask you some questions:

Please give me some time to research the company and type you an answer.

I was contacted by e-mail. The interview was a verification phonecall to my cellphone. They asked a little about me and what my greatest challenge was. That's about it. In order to get to whom I would pay I would first have to sign the contract and then they would provide the name of the agent. I am attaching the files now.

Thanks. I'm working on an answer now for you.

Please check last parragraph of page 2 of the contract.

This is a scam! Cease all contact with them. You don't have a real job.

How do I know?

Companies House, the government agency that keeps the business and annual tax records for every UK business has no such business on their corporate register as Calmena Energy Services. A legitimate UK business would have to be listed with them for tax purposes.

Secondly, I have looked at the registration information for their website. What I have found is that this domain name was only registered and the website launched 213 days ago on August 25, 2017. It is also set to expire on August 25, 2018, the least amount of time that a domain name can be reserved for. This presents a number of red flags. Real companies set themselves up to protect their brand and keep their web address from being stolen out from under them. Fake ones, on the other hand, set themselves up as inexpensively as possible to look legitimate but then disappear into cyberspace with the money they steal from so-called successful job candidates. They are also reaching out to you from a different country. There would be no need to do that. It's not as if your credentials make you uniquely qualified. They'd offer it first to a British citizen.

The site's IP address traces not to the UK at all but to Chisenau in Moldova. Many job scams of this type come out of Russia and former Soviet-bloc countries. And the so called site owner is a private individual in Canada. So where is this company really? Your guess is as good as mine and that's the whole point.

You can see this for yourself by going to a site like www.domaintools.com and doing a WHOIS search for the website.

There are many job scams on the web involving bogus offers that appear to come from actual businesses abroad. They all work more or less the same way. Only the names of the businesses involved and the contact detalls change.

Here's how the scam works:

You get hired supposedly by a business in a country other than your own. The offer does not proceed the way a legitimate employment opportunity does. For one thing, the terms of the offer are usually much too generous to be true.

For another, I'm sure that you have looked for jobs in your life already and would therefore know that no first class company just hands you a job in a foreign country on the basis of your resumé without a substantive personal interview, especially when that job involves relocation and papers you may not be able to actually obtain. The scam is just a slick way of getting you to part with your money by way of so-called visas and work permits and to get all of your most sensitive personal information besides so that they can commit identity theft too.

If the job were real, the company couldn't commit to you until your papers were all in place and on a professional level, they would pay for your immigration and relocation expenses. Here, you're expected to pay for them yourself, and not to the government agency which would have to issue them but to a private individual.

Ignore the contract. It's not valid because there's nothing real about the company. Cease all correspondence with them and block them. Report this fraud to your police and/or to ActionFraud.police.uk which is the UK's national anti-fraud agency.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Zoey. Thank you very much. Excellent service. Will do as you say.

I'm glad you thought to ask. I have seen people give notice to real jobs and vacate apartments and spend thousands of dollars on the promise of a job that does not exist.