I wrote a request for compensation to an insurance company…

I wrote a request...

I wrote a request for compensation to an insurance company for injuries related to a minor auto accident. Can I get a lawyer to review it and tell me if I've said anything that isn't adviseable?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the injury take place? And do you have medical records or other documentation?

Alabama, and yes, I have medical documentation and bills.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thanks.

3/27/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am happy to take a look at the letter and provide any thoughts. If you could also provide - if it is not apparent from the letter - a brief summary of the accident, whether this is your insurance policy or the other driver's, and whether/what other contact you have had prior to this letter with the insurance company, that would allow me to provide a more thorough response.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hello. I was a passenger in my car when another car rear-ended us at an intersection. The insurance policy is the other driver's. The only contact I have had was to tell the agent that I was undergoing treatment and would forward that information when it was available. Did you get the document I attached yesterday? We are having some tech issues here.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I do not have cell reception in my office, so I cannot call you.

Don't worry about the call - that is a service offered automatically from JustAnswer. I can certainly respond via email. I do now have the letter and will review and provide my thoughts shortly.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you!

The letter is generally good. I might delete any reference to existing conditions or prior injuries. You absolutely want to be honest, but you need not point out these conditions if they were controlled or resolved prior to this accident. Including them could cause unnecessary delay, confusion or denial of some coverage/compensation. So, I would delete the 4th (prior injury) and 6th paragraphs (depression). Regarding the depression, you may just want to state you were suffering from exaggerated depression as a result of the accident - neither pointing out existing depression or implying you never suffered from it prior.

With the paragraph about the holidays, I might consider streamlining it to read something like, "The timing of the accident and my resulting injuries made the holiday season difficult for me and my family. In addition, I had therapy sessions to attend, physical exercises I was directed to perform, and simply did not feel well physically."

Clarify with our sick leave on Oct. 16-18, whether that was a total of 2 hours or 2 hours each day (6 hours).

At the end, you may want to make a list of exactly what you are asking for what: medical expenses = $, lost wages = $, mileage = $, husband's lost wages = $, pain and suffering (past and future) = $. And, you may want to be clear that you are willing to accept this payment despite the potential that future medical treatment may still be needed and that the amount you are seeking is attempting to take that fact into consideration (if it is).

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer