I am being sued by a comapny for being delinquent. However,

Customer Question
I am being sued...

I am being sued by a comapny for being delinquent. However, i have brought the account current and hope to pay off the account before the court date do i still need to appear in court if i pay them off before then?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have paid the account till current. I am no longer dilinquent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if i have to appear if I pay off before court date

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/26/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, you'd still need to appear. Technically they should stop the suit. But they may not, either by with the firm not realizing that account is current, or, not caring. If so, then they can get a judgment against you for the amount again, if you do not show up - this is called a default judgment.

So do show up with proof. At worse, they can get attorney fees (only). But likely, the suit will be cancelled. An ANSWER should also be filed with the Court, if one has already not been.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

how do i file an answer with the court?

See attached sample answer.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"