I am loaning $60,000 to a friend for his business, I would…

I am loaning $60,000...

I am loaning $60,000 to a friend for his business, I would just like to have someone look the paperwork over to make sure nothing is left out protection wise. Not looking for free, just the least expensive way to do it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm retired, living full time in RV mostly in Fla right now. I have a homestead address in Texas, that also has access to a Bushnell Fla address(for drivers license and such). He live in Fla, but business is in Fox Lake, Ill.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Drawn up paperwork

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cant thaink of any

3/26/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What would you like us to review?

This paperwork:

Thank you for your reply.

The agreement is basically a boilerplate promissory note, which is fine.

A couple of things I would suggest.

1. Put in a payment schedule as Appendix A to the Note. State in Payment section that payments will be made (just as you have it written) and that a schedule of payment dates is attached as Appendix A to the note. This way there is no confusion as to the actual payment dates.
  2. Security, you need to insert that the borrower will also allow a UCC 1 to be filed against any and all contents of the business. You can get the UCC-1 Form at the IL Secretary of State website: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/business_services/ucc.html. You file this in IL because that is where the business is.
  3. Last, the choice of law being Florida is good, but since you are living in FL, you also need to state in the Choice of Law, that Jurisdiction will be a court of proper jurisdiction within the State of Florida .

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you.And yes I will definitely leave a 5 star comment!

Thank you very much.