I was exposed to carbon dioxide gas at an apartment I was…

I was exposed to...

I was exposed to carbon dioxide gas at an apartment I was staying while on a temporary contract in Iowa. I went to hospital a few days after I moved out because of side effects. I have list wages and medical bills and other expenses. The landlord's insurance denied the claim due to a pollutes , even though they were caused by the faulty furnace. What can I do to get reimbursed for my losses?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IA lawyer about this?

No. I don't live in Iowa. I travel with my job and am currently in New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing other than talking to State Farm.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have finally found out the owner of the apartment complex. I was dealing with the apartment manager. This occurred in December 2017

3/26/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Apparently, the insurance company is denying the landlord's claim for coverage because of the lack of causal connection. When you were evaluated, what did the doctor's say?

I was evaluated at the apartment on Friday. I started having breathing problems and nerve issues over the weekend. Then went to the hospital on Monday. The doctor said that my levels were in the acceptable ranges but that my lung were inflamed. I was put on steroids and inhaler therapy

I see. Even if the landlord's insurance denied the claim, you could possibly still sue the landlord (or possibly the gas company or both), if you can show that they were negligent in maintaining or fixing the situation and failed to do so and that your injuries were a result of that negligence. Usually, an expert witness would be required to show that but for the negligence, your ailments would not have occurred.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

The gas leak was there when I moved in. I only stayed there two nights. Should I contact the landlord directly? I made $5,000.00 on the contract but this issue cost me approximately $4,500.00.
The carbon dioxide level was 150 ppm and the harmful level is 100 ppm

Since the landlord is the ultimate defendant that you would sue, it could be a good idea to see if you can work it out with the landlord. You would have to attempt this anyway if you were going to file a complaint against the landlord anyway.

If I do file, would I have to get an attorney in Iowa and file there?

You would have to have a local attorney where the situation occurred to handle the court case.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney