I am interested in pursuing a defamation claim. I have

Customer Question
I am interested in...

I am interested in pursuing a defamation claim. I have operated a youth program for 14 years. Three years ago a romp of coaches left and started their own program with more than 60% of the players in our program. To convince parents to follow them they spread rumors about money and mismanagement and other things. They have harmed our reputation in the community and our registrations the past few years have significantly dropped. Can we pursue defamation among other things since this group has publicly stated they want to close our program.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This is my first step

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The group is reckless and careless I can get them to speak openly to a caller to n their phone that can be recorded

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Defamation of character is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

If someone lied about you and that lie harmed your reputation? You can sue the person who lied for defamation.

In the case you are describing, if the lies are harming the reputation of your organization? They (the organization) can file a defamation claim.