I have received a letter from Portugal that I have won

I have received a...

I have received a letter from Portugal that I have won several million $ and ignorer to receive the money I need to send them $ 900.00 processing fee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Portuguese lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

To contact you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if this may be a fraud

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes, this is a fraud.

You cannot win a lottery without buying a lottery ticket. Lotteries are funded out of the proceeds of the ticket sales. There is no such thing as a international lottery and it is illegal in the US to buy lottery tickets online.

The only possible way you could win a Portuguese lottery is if you bought your ticket in person from a licensed vendor in Portugal.

Also, when you really wiin a contest, the money is already yours. You do not ever have to pay anything to get your money. Assuming the contest had any transfer expenses whatsoever, it would take the $900 out of what already is your money and would send you the rest with no strings attached.

Don't contact the so-called contest. You're not a winner, but a sure way to become a loser would be to reach out to them and send them $900. It would only be the first of many many payments you would have to pay in order to try to receive winnings that don't really exist.

Zoey, JD,
Thank you for your answer, I will not pursue the letter. I assumed that it was fraud but wanted to make sure.
Thank you. Guenter L. Grothe

It's always wise to make sure.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney