I own a restaurant and the restaurant-to-be next to me wants…

I own a restaurant...

I own a restaurant and the restaurant-to-be next to me wants an easement across the bottom portion of our property for a power line and I'm not sure how that works

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No he just told me about it today, the owner of the building next door, asking about getting an easement,

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Tyrone Ga

3/26/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello I am an attorney here to help. An easement is the right of one party to do something on someone else's land with their permission. Easements have to be in writing and must contain the material (important) terms of the agreement. Easements can be made for power lines by the other party. The owner of the property is usually compensated per month or per year at an agreed upon rate by the parties.
In order to be recordable, an easement deed must be signed by the grantor and must contain two witnesses, one of whom must be the notary with his seal attached. If one of the witnesses is not a notary, then there must be an acknowledgment by a notary attached to the deed ( 44-2-21 and 44-2-14) according to a trusted source. You need to go to your courthouse and file a petition to have the easement recorded in your county so all future owners will be aware.
Did you have any other questions for me today?
How do I know what the compensation should be?
There's no legal minimum or maximum. Just what you think is fair. You may need to get comparisons from other restaurant owners in your county to see what they think. Also, a real estate agent may be shor to help broker the deal too since they usually know the area. You just have to price it like you would your food by using your best judgement and negotiating prices with suppliers. Did you have any other questions for me today?
Ok, thank you much!
You bet. Would you be okay providing men's five star rating today? I would sincerely ***** *****
Legal Eagle, Lawyer