Does the forming of an LLC for literary publishing protect…

Customer Question
Does the forming of...

Does the forming of an LLC for literary publishing protect your personal assets from a defamation law suit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

In discussion stage.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Legal
3/26/2018
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 27 days ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Possibly. That is, it protects the publisher's personal assets, but it's still possible that the plaintiff (the person suing for defamation) could sue the author as well. The author is not going to be an LLC, but an individual. Now it's going to make it more difficult to sue the author (having an LLC) especially if the LLC owns all the rights, but it doesn't completely protect the author's assets from a defamation lawsuit. That's why having a good umbrella insurance policy that would cover that for the author would be a very good idea.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (OVER 1 HOUR) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney