My dad just passed away from bone and lung cancer last week…

Customer Question
My dad just passed...

My dad just passed away from bone and lung cancer last week Tuesday, March 20th. His wife filed a malpractice lawsuit in Bronx County (New York State) and his attempting to cut my siblings and I out of a future settlement. There are 7 surviving adult children in total. Are we entitled to any of that settlement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NY lawyer about this?

Not as of yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just found your website, thus the reason I am asking these questions.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not right now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Ok thank you

Thank you for your patience and my sympathies for your loss.

So essentially the wrongful death statute is codified at Article 5, EPTL 213-217 and it allows a surviving spouse or child to sue for the wrongful death that the decedent would have been able to sue for based on medical malpractice issues.

The personal representative of the estate may sue as well in which case they are deemed to hold the proceeds for the benefit of the decedent's heirs; please see:

The personal representative, duly appointed in this state or any other jurisdiction, of a decedent who is survived by distributees may maintain an action to recover damages for a wrongful act, neglect or default which caused the decedent's death against a person who would have been liable to the decedent by reason of such wrongful conduct if death had not ensued. Such an action must be commenced within two years after the decedent's death;... When the distributees do not participate in the administration of the decedent's estate under a will appointing an executor who refuses to bring such action, the distributees are entitled to have an administrator appointed to prosecute the action for their benefit.

A decedent's pain and suffering is one component of the litigation; the family member's loss is another.

It is important to hire an attorney to determine if the spouse is acting as the personal representative; and to assist with any attempts to exclude certain heirs.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.