I have an aging parent and I want her to sign a Power of…

Hello. I have...

Hello. I have an aging parent and I want her to sign a Power of Attorney for my sister and me. However, she i physically unable to sign her name. Can this be done some other way?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland - Frederick County

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None other than to speak to her about it. She tells me to have my suster sign for her.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. In situations where a person cannot physically sign their name, you can always either have them a) sign any mark at all, such as just using an "X" or some other mark to indicate their signature or b) you can do it electronically.

If you go to www.hellosign.com, you can upload the POA document and you can have a person sign the document digitally, which is binding. I use it all of the time for all kinds of agreements and they are perfectly legal. Hellosign.com is relatively cheap and in some cases just free to use. It may be the easiest way to have the person who can't sign sign the documents.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, thank you for the information. I'll visit the website you provided and get familiar with the POA agreement. I have no other questions now but will come back to this site in future. You have been professional and it's been a pleasure! Thanks again.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer