My uncle died who lived with me and bought a car making

Customer Question
My uncle died who...

My uncle died who lived with me and bought a car making payments on still is it legal or what do I have to do he had no estate but I was the one in the 5 wishes

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

How can I keep the car

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

His sister also lives with me she is 71

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wisconsin But car was purchased in ga. And listened in wi

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

If I can clarify your questions, are you asking whether it's legal to continue making payments on the vehicle?

Also can I get in sister's name or does it have to be in mine we live I ixonia will
I want to keep the car and continue making payments

I see.

I'm sorry for your loss.

So, you can continue making payments, but to legally possess the car, you're going to have to get permission from a probate court to do this.

When someone dies, and there is property that must be transferred over, then someone can apply to be a personal representative of the estate of that person. By applying to be a personal representative, they are saying they will handle the affairs of the deceased person, including paying any creditors and transferring any property according to their will, or if they had no will, the law.

In your case, you would need to file a petition in your local probate court first. Once you do that, and assuming you are approved, then you'll get what are called "letters testementary." This is the authority by the court to begin moving property into another person's name. If he did not have a will, it is possible that your state law would have his property go to his next of kin. This means that it could be his sister before it comes to you. The sister could then just transfer the car to you or sell the car to you thereafter. Regardless, you can use that letters testementary to help with paying creditors, transferring money in a bank account, or otherwise distributing his property.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?