I have been harassed by neighbors up stair in a place I

Customer Question
I have been harassed...

I have been harassed by neighbors up stair in a place I live! so much so that they have lied to police and had me arrested. they even had an order of protection brought against me. I have taken all this and I am still being harassed by them. How can I get an order of protection against them for their constant harassment toward me? I thought they were forbidden to have any contact with me as I am not supposed to have any contact with them!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the charges?

Not me! I am innocent in the first place. but I have had NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM! yet they go out of their way to be harassing. I have filed several harassment charges against them in return, yet I am still living in absolute fear.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

New York, Queens County.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nettie B***** is the females name, I just found out last night she has been arrested for something. yet she still is harassing me- even so far as to wait until I got home from church yesterday, she waited in her car until I was walking up the front walk, she followed and began insulting me and calling me a whore cow, a bitch, telling me to stop calling against her. (i did file another report last evening) report number pending

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/26/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I CANNOT AFFORD $ 59 or anything! I AM DISABLED!

Hi, those phone call requests are automatic. You don't have to accept them. Bear with me a moment while I type up your answer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. In this case, you may want to consider getting a restraining order against the neighbors if they have continued to harass you. You can get a restraining order from a Queens County Court.. Getting a restraining order usually files a few important steps. The first thing you should do is either look online or to go to your local civil courthouse to find out what forms are required for the restraining order. Each county and each state requires different forms so I suggesting going to the courthouse to find out. The first floor where the clerk’s office is usually has all of the forms necessary. The forms eventually have to be submitted to a judge/magistrate who will either approve or deny the request.

Once you’ve obtained the forms, you should fill them out, including all of the detail as to why you feel the restraining order should be granted by the judge. Go to the courthouse to file the forms. You can either wait around or come back later to determine whether the judge has approved the order. If it is approved, the clerk will return to you several copies. One to keep and one to serve. The restraining orders are usually temporary in nature, not lasting over 90 days. The order is enforceable by your county sheriff so if the person violates the order, they can be arrested.

Typically, restraining orders have to be served in person, but they can’t be served by you. This means you should go to www.thumbtack.com and find a process server. A process server is a person who will serve a copy of the lawsuit on the other party. A process server must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the case in any way. If you have a friend or family member who can do it, they can serve it for you, too. Otherwise, most process servers charge something like 50-100 dollars. Once service is complete, the process server will typically have to file a “proof of service” form to swear to the court that they filed the documents.

Not long after the order is granted, the court will set up a hearing date for the future to determine whether the restraining order should be continued beyond the 90 days or so. If you believe that it does need to be continued, then you will make your case. If you don’t believe it needs to be continued, then you can tell the judge this at the hearing. Ultimately, it’s entirely up to the judge whether it continues, so you should be prepared either way.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?