My workmate borrowed money from me last year and promised me…

Customer Question
My workmate borrowed money...

My workmate borrowed money from me last year and promised me to pay me 100$ per pay day. And the rest of the amount when she gets her tax refund. She owes me 1900$ and had only paid 400$.. i do not believe she has not received her tax refund yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your workmate in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your workmate taken so far?

She has filed her tax in February before I left Montana. I am afraid she will never pay me since I have already relocated. She is not answering my messages

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I lost the promisory note that she wrote.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Legal
3/26/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

If you've given your colleague ample time to repay the loan and she hasn't, or perhaps doesn't intend to at all, then your recourse would be to file a claim in small claims court.

Having the promissory note would have helped almost guarantee a judgment in your favor, and without it, it will be a bit more difficult.

You should gather what documentation you do have to present some physical evidence in your favor -- for example bank records showing the money that was withdrawn to loan your friend, plus any records you have of the repayments your friend made.

That will help substantiate that there was in fact a loan that was made and that they were attempting to repay.

Most people decide to file small claims court claims on their own, and most of the forms you need can be obtained at the clerk's office.

You can of course always opt to hire a private civil attorney to help with this as well.

If you do, you can contact the Montana State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(406)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones