This is related to my previous question. If I have been

scammed, is there a way...
This is related to my previous question. If I have been scammed, is there a way to get some of your money back? I really don't want to report this to the police. This is much to humiliating for me as everyone will say I should have known better. Have seen some things on the internet that you may report scams and get some money back. Also, do I needto get an attorney? I have no money left to pay for one.
3/26/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. The site will automatically offer a phone call for an additional charge; please feel free to disregard that request.

Because the vast majority of scam artists are located overseas, I'm sorry to say, it would be extremely unusual for any person to get their money back. You can sue and get a judgment here, but a US judgment isn't valid in other countries, and the scam artists won't have property here for you to collect. Part of the problem also is that, before you can sue someone, you have to find them - and the information scam artists give is not real. Locating the true identity of a scam artist living in another country could cost you as much as you've already given them.

Most people online offering to help you get your money back want you to pay upfront - they're working with the scam artists. A legitimate recovery organization would only charge you after money was found, and it would be a percentage of the money found.

It IS possible to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, and in the unlikely event that they find and prosecute the scam artists, yes, they could seize money and redistribute it to the victims. But if you don't want to file a report, there's no way to take advantage of that. It's honestly a long shot, but the more complaints they get about a given individual, the more likely they are to take action.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney