I own an antique store in PA. and I rent space to a couple…

Customer Question
I own an antique...

I own an antique store in PA. and I rent space to a couple who did not register their business and have not paid state sales and probably have not claimed any federal or state income taxes. What are my legal rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

PA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

She tells me they are working on it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/26/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Are you saying that you rent space to a tenant? If so, is there a commercial lease between you as the onwer/landlord and the other business/tenant?

Thanks for the additional information. I understand your concern is the with the business not paying its income taxes. Is it still paying rent to you? Is your concern that the business will go under and then you will not receive your rent or back rent?

No, my concern is the couple selling merchandise out of my store, collecting state sales tax, and not paying to the state of Pennsylvania. The state sales tax collected is paid to him and is the dealers responsibility of forwarding to state. He pays his rent in jobs performed to help me with maintenance. He owned the properties for 13 years and knows the buildings very well and does very good work with me. Per his wife I know he hasn't paid any sales tax to the state and I assume that he hasn't claimed any state and federal income also. He is dragging his feet with excuses and not registering his business because he knows he will get an IRS form 1099 misc. from me and then he will have to cover these taxes. I do not want this kind of corruption in my store. He had his chance and I bailed him out and stopped the sheriff sale or he would have been bankrupt in 2013.
I should not have left him sell without the state EIN# ***** I know, but I was hoping I could trust him but now know that may have been a mistake. Now I need to protect my investment and all the other dealers (approximately 74) and the offices I have rented. Wish I had more offices, retail renters are off the wall, even dogs know not to bite the hand that feeds them. Most of my renters are professional people and they are lazy and spoiled.

Thanks for the clarification. Are you required to rent to this business? Is there a written lease?