Aloha I am from the state of Hawaii and I wanted to know if…

Aloha I am from...

Aloha I am from the state of Hawaii and I wanted to know if it is legal for my landlord to have people in the neighborhood watching my house and reporting who is coming over .. He (landlord) is saying illegal activity is going on at my house.. It is totally untrue..I have my daughter and her girlfriend living with me.. They have been living with me since we moved here 3 years ago. Now he wants me to kick out my daughter's girlfriend..He said she is not on the lease.. I have 10 days for her to leave or I will be evicted.Other tenants has people living with them who is not on their lease but he not doing anything about them..He tells me I cannot have a dog but 4 other tenants have dogs.. i am not to drive on the grass others drive and park on grass.. what should i do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

What do you mean

3/26/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello I am an attorney here to help. The answer to your question is no. Landlords make an implied promise that they will let the tenant quietly enjoy the premises. This means that the landlord promises that they aren't going to interfere with the right of the tenant to quietly enjoy their property. In your case, if a landlord has people driving by for any reason, then it is going to violate your quiet enjoyment.
Also, if they're harassing you about the pets alone, that's another reason. Accordingly, you could notify the landlord about their duties under the law and bring a claim in a small claims court for a violation.
Did you have any other questions for me today?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Does he have the right to have people watching my house..1
No. It violates your tight to quiet enjoyment. Did you get a chance to see my analysis above?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
What about the landlord saying I am going to be evicted if I don't remove my daughter's girlfriend from the premises after her living here for 3 years
That's illegal as well. If she's been living there and if the landlord was aware of their presence, then they have tenants rights. This means she deserves at least thirty days notice before any eviction of her. Additionally, if the landlord was ok with you moving her there, then the landlord waived their right to evict you as a result.
Any other questions for me today?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He sent me a certified mail saying I have 10 days to remove her or I will be evicted
You can ignore it. They can't lock you out or shut off the electricity either. If they want you out physically, they can't call the police. They will have to go-to a civil court and get a judges order to do so.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He believe that my daughter them is doing illegal things which is untrue.. He believes this because they have friends who were arrested for drugs so he thinks they do it to.. My daughter said she would take a drug test and she would pass.. He calls me at work to tell me my daughter has people coming to the house for drugs.. she is not selling drugs.. I wouldn't have to be supporting them if they were..i have now put up cameras for proof that no one is coming over..
Yeah I have reason to believe that they're violating the law by behaving in this way. Ithink you have a strong legal basis to potentially sue in small claims court.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Should I get a lawyer.. I cannot afford one maybe legal aid can help
Legal aid can probably help. If there is a local law school nearby they may have a legal clinic. They typically handle situations like this. Regardless, if that's not available then you don't need a lawyer.
Bear with me about 10 minutes I can send you something that you can send to the landlord. It's basically a template where you can fill in your own information to advise the landlord that you may file a lawsuit.

To help facilitate the situation, you may want to consider just writing a letter detailing the problems and demand that they rectify this situation or you will move off the property and not pay any rent thereafter as allowed by law. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you for all your help.. I don't have anywhere else to move to or should I say I cannot afford to move... and I am not willing to put my daughter, her girlfriend and their 3 year old son on the streets..so once again thank you so much
Legal Eagle, Lawyer