I am in California...I hired an attorney Aug 2015 because my…

Customer Question
Hi I am in...

Hi I am in California...I hired an attorney Aug 2015 because my ex husband was taking me back to court...The case was settled in August 2016.....I believe my attorney charged way too much and has actually has actually been admonished by the court a couple of times for charging too much...I would like to make a formal complaint and would ask that part of the fees I paid for her and my forensic accountant be returned...is it too late for that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in CA family court?

No I have not but I would like to now ...is it too late to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

The Lawyer that I want to complain about?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No please don't connect me I was just looking for information re the case

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/25/2018
Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately it is enough of an issue in California that there is a procedure set out for addressing fee disputes.

The California State Bar has put this program in place and it is administered via the individual county bar associations where the program operates. It is low cost and can move quicker than bringing the action in Court. I have attached a link here where you can start with the overview and locate your specific county resource.

In addition to this, there is relief available to malpractice claims if one were to exists though those are separate from the fee arbitration process. There is some confusion in California as to the statute of limitations, but it largely centers around the basis of the fee agreement. If there was only an oral agreement then likely 2 years. If it was written, likely 3. However from your information, the statute of limitations would not have started until August of 2016, so you are still within the 2 year time frame. I would suggest you not wait to long, but if you start the process, the statute of limitations would not run until August at the earliest.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.