I am a full-time custodian in a NJ public school district…

I am a full-time custodian...
I am a full-time custodian in a NJ public school district (municipality). I am in the NJ army national guard and need advice. I found out that i am entitled to be compensated for 90 days per calender year if i am to be deployed on a mission, job training ect. The following statute is from 38A:4-4. The union lawyer told me over the phone that it is an entitlement and youll get your money if you take the school to court. My union lawyer advised me however if i do that i will piss off the school district and they could retaliate and not hire hire me back when they renew thier contract every fiscal year. So i need advice, should i take my lawyers advice and not pursue what i am entitled to, in fear of being layed off by my school district? Or pursue and if they do fire me i have a lawsuit with the district. Is it worth pursuing or stand down? Just to let you know im a good employee and get good evaluations every year. Should i just ask the superintendant politely to be compensated and if he says no than o well call it a loss? If i do pursue should i get a personal attorney instead of my union lawyer? It sucks because its a huge burden to me if i am deployed for a year the army will only pay me 1200 a month and when im working for the school im making 2200 a month! catch my dilema> Whats your advice/ opinion? the link is below for the entitlement statutehttps://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-38a/section-38a-4-4/
3/26/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ill wait
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Usually, a union lawyer can help you with a situation wherein the employer is violating a contract with the union. Otherwise, if the issue does not involve a union contract, then an employee may be better off seeking counsel from a local private attorney. A local attorney could write a "demand letter," setting forth the law and the requirements for your compensation. If for some reason you are retaliated against (i.e., fired), then you could possibly file a lawsuit against the employer. If the law is clear that a reserve is to be compensated under a statute, it should not be terribly surprising to anyone that you would inform the employer of the law if the employer is unfamiliar with it, or remind the employer that the law exists and must be followed. A local private attorney could review the scenarios with you to come up with your best strategy.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
What would you do? Schools are a dirty business my friend and will retaliate, dont know if its worth the risk of losing my job! Even lets say they not rehire me, do i have a strong case to sue them?

It is not a legal decision. It is a business decision for you to make. You have to way the plus and minuses. You know the personalities of the people involved. If you are saying they will retaliate because that is the type of people they are, even if you win in the long run, it could take time, money and energy to deal with it. In other words, you could have a strong case with the law and the statute, but if the people want to violate the statute, you would still have to get a judgment in court to make them adhere to it and/or reinstate your position. Legally, though, you could have a good case. That is why it is best to discuss the particulars with a local attorney to weigh the plusses and minuses and to get the legal counseling if you are going to pursue this.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
can i ask one last question?

Sure.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
i was thinking could i record all the days i was supposed to be compensated and when i leave in a couple years go through the legal process and ask to be compensated for all those days? I want to avoid a conflict with my employer because im pretty sure theyll harrass and not re-hire me.

There could be a statute of limitation restriction, meaning if you wait too long, you may be prevented from making a claim. It is unclear what the statute of limitation is in this case without more research.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney