I co signed a rental agreement for my adult son who is 50…

I co signed a...

I co signed a rental agreement for my adult son who is 50 years old. The agreement I signed was dated August 2015 thru July 2016. My son remained there for another year and a half. He has now moved and the original landlord is sending me a bill for 5000 dollars in damages etc. The charges are not in order.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

1. am I still liable since no new contract was ever signed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I am in Missouri, and I am preparing a letter to reply to his outlandish charges.

3/25/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you, ***** ***** your advise?

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks for your patience. You don't owe anything on that previous lease agreement. A contract terminates at a time agreed upon by the parties. If a tenant wishes to stay on the property after the end of a lease agreement, then a month to month agreement is created that specifically binds the tenant and the landlord. In your case, if the lease agreement ended in July 2016, you are no longer the co-signer on the property. Month to month agreements were created from July 2016 until now, meaning that only your son is the one responsible.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter that they no longer contact you about this matter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

Thank you for your information Much appreciated.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer