I have a question around maternity, labor law and workplace…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question around maternity, labor law and workplace discrimination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Neither yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will, salaried.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My wife is returning to a previously "work from home" job tomorrow after 3 months of Maternity leave. She was notified this past Friday she needs to drive 1.5hrs 1-way to an office with no maternity support or lose her job. Basically, no notice with plenty of undue hardship on our part (sudden daycare needs). I'm basically just wondering if there is some legal way for us to angle to keep her job for a bit while she gets out of there.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I have dealt with some terrible co-workers, managers, and subordinates in my time. It’s one of the reasons I decided to become self-employed is because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Nonetheless, it’s important to analyze the law in this situation. Harassment/retaliation/discrimination is against the law; however, employment law only makes it against the law if the basis of these actions by the employer are based on your race, gender, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or disability. If she were still pregnant, then the employer would be required to provide some reasonable accommodations to her to assist. But since she has had the baby, she wouldn't be considered disabled under these circumstances so she will have the same protections as any other non-disabled employee.

Employment law doesn’t necessarily cover people who act like jerks. In some states, contract law may help if an employer doesn’t act in good faith. Under the Uniform Commercial Code, any party to any agreement (including employment agreements) has to act in good faith with one another. The failure to do so could be a breach of contract. It’s one of the possible legal solutions, but not always the most practical one.

The one thing that you could do is keep a lawsuit in your back pocket for your wife. What I mean by this is if the issues continue, then you may want to consider a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress. IIED means that if someone is intentionally causing severe emotional distress in another, then you may be able to recover for the damages that occurred (e.g. therapist bills, lost wages, medications, etc.). Your wife would have to prove that she suffered damages as a result of this schedule change, but employees have used this tactic when employers have done the same things yours has.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, thanks for all that detail. We do have proof that there are a number of other men and women who work out of this office, but are not required to commute to the office every day as she is now being required, but in general is sounds like it's best to just exit the situation.

I would concur. I have had employers try hard to push a long commute and it almost never works out. Before it wears on her health and your family, I would see into her finding alternative employment. I know it sounds easier than it is to do because finding a new job is just the worst, but so is a 1.5 hour commute.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, thanks for you help. I don't have any other questions.

Excellent. Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Great, might be handy to have someone to call for legal advice and you sound pretty level headed. I'll add you to the favorites. Have a good day.

Thanks so much! I sincerely ***** *****

Legal Eagle, Lawyer