My brother is planning on suing me in New Jersey I live in…

My brother is planning...

My brother is planning on suing me in New Jersey I live in Pennsylvania and would have to travel there with my lawyer I would also be missing work Do I have to travel to New Jersey or does he have to come to Pennsylvania to sue me Do I have to travel to New Jersey or does he have to come to Pennsylvania to sue me

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NJ lawyer about this?

No my lawyer is in Pennsylvania and she’s told me he had no case

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I haven’t done anything yet I saw my lawyer two weeks ago who told me his case had no merit and that he would not be able to do anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is all from the sale of the house that was deeded to me I have been handing him a check for $1000 each month because he has not worked in over 25 years

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you

If he sues you in NJ an NJ lawyer can make special appearance and claim the court has no jurisdiction over you since you are a PA resident.It would likely be dismissed pretty quick.

I don't see that he can successfully sue you out of state here.Your lawyer can ask for legal fees and if it is dismissed you may get those too.

You could have the PA lawyer write him claiming you are a NJ resident and not subject to suit here in PA.That might head it off here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer
I will and Thankyou so much