I had t 2 vehicles seized for a judgment and was wondering…

Customer Question
I had t 2...

I had t 2 vehicles seized for a judgment and was wondering if it’s possible to get them back ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Mi

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None they just took them yesterday the court officer said to contact the attorney involved

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/25/2018
Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. As a preliminary matter, I do agree with the officer who said one option is the contact the attorney involved. I assume from your question that there is a judgment against you and that the vehicles were seized in an attempt to satisfy that judgment. If that is the case, the options for return of the vehicles include the following:

1. Find a way to pay the judgment and contact the lawyer to arrange that payment in exchange for return of the vehicles.

2. If you have unpaid loans on the vehicles such that they likely have little value (in other words, if you have loans on them then the lender who financed the purchase of the trucks would come in line in front of the judgment creditor such that they may put the trucks up for sale and still get no money on the judgment). If that is the case, you may want to let the attorney know that selling those trucks will not get his client any money.

3. You may be able to offer a payment plan to the attorney for payment of the judgment with that agreement providing that the trucks could be used to satisfy the judgment if you fail to pay or miss a payment. This would avoid your having to come up with all the funds to pay off the judgment at one time while giving you use of the trucks and full ownership of them after the judgment is paid (in other words, no further risk of their being seized once the judgment is satisfied).

4. If the judgment was just entered and there is a basis for and time still to appeal, appealing the judgment would be another option. But time for appealing is very short. So, if this is a judgment that is even a month old, it may be too late for this option.

I hope this helps. Unfortunately, after a judgment is entered against you, the law provides ways for the person who got the judgment to collect the amount awarded and one of those ways is seizure and ultimately sale of property you own.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.