My pet was taken to an emergency room tonight. Due to their…

Customer Question
Hi my pet was...

Hi my pet was taken to an emergency room tonight. Due to their policy and that we had to pay out of pocket up front of 75% of total cost in which we didn’t have. The worker then stated if we were unable to pay the 75% then they recommend putting my dog to sleep. We tried to get them to do a blood transfusion and a agulation but they refused to do anything unless we payed there 75% of total cost. Nowy

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Now my dog is at home dying because of this Hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Everything from vet to emergency room

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No mam

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I had taken my shitzu to a emergency pet hospital and was told that we would have to make a payment t of 75% of the total amount in order for them to do anything to help my pup. The person working behind the desk also had stated if we were unable to pay the 75% up front then she reccomends we put our family dog to sleep.

I'm sorry to hear about that. What questions did you have regarding the vet's actions?

we were forced to bring her home and now we are watching her die. They refused to do as we asked to help her but they wouldn’t touch our pet unless a 75% of the total cost was made.

I see. I'm sorry to hear about that. So, generally, a vet is not required to perform services on a pet for free or in the case of an emergency. Although the morally correct thing to do would be to negotiate a reasonable price, the law doesn't require that they work on your dog. Sometimes, non-profit shelters or other places may help your pet. Have you had a chance to look into any of those at all?

I’m trying to help help her but running into walls and running out of time fast!

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds terrible. My recommendation is to try to go to the Human Society that is in your state. If you click here, you can get their information. They may not be able to help you; however, they very well may be able to assist you in finding free or low cost help for your pet ASAP. Sometimes, they have vets who will provide free or low cost work for people who can't afford it. Also, call your county's department of animal control. They may have something set up as well where they can either do the work or refer you somewhere you can have the work done as well. O'm very sorry.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?