My son had a credit card in 2005 that wasn't paid off. He…

Good morning, my son...

Good morning, my son had a credit card in 2005 that wasn't paid off. He just recd a l8tr from the credit card co. It reads the statue of limitations has ended regarding taking you to court and If you agree to pay this bill. It will go on your credit. Does that mean if he doesn't pay it. It will not affect his credit. He was going to request an installment an but I don't want it to affect his credit.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Mass

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

2004. No he hasn't done anything. He recd the l8tr on friday.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Is it currently showing on his credit report?

No
If u don't mind. I was hoping it would be a quick answer.
I thought after seven yrs and it's removed from your credit and they did not refile. That is over.

Thank you for the additional information.

If a debt is not collectible, as this would be, it is illegal for a credit reporting agency to include it and, if brought to the reporting company's attention, it must be removed.

So, they are, likely, trying to scare your son into paying a debt he no longer owes. There is nothing they can legally do after the SOL expires.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Thank you so much for all your help.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.