My mother sold the family home to my brother in 2003 with a…

Customer Question
My mother sold the...

My mother sold the family home to my brother in 2003 with a life use for her. He passed in 2011, his wife sold the property to our daughter that year and passed 3 months later. Our daughter and her husband want to do major repairs and upgrades but can not ge a loan due to the life use but my mother is in a senior home non medical and the state says if she removes the life use our daughter would have to pay $10,000 or more. What do we have to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just started the process to get title 19 for the home as she makes only 1600 per month

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has no savings as she paid down savings to get below the monthly minimum to qualify for title 19.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/25/2018
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

You mother doesn't have to give up the life estate. If she is still mentally competent, all has to do is agree to sign on the mortgage loan along with your daughter and spouse. Other than that, they will have to wait until Mom passes on which will automatically terminates her life estate. When they own the house free and clear they should be able to borrow enough to rehab it.