How do I have to wait before start a legal issue about a non…

How long do I...

How long do I have to wait before start a legal issue about a non recived 401k termination cashout paycheck?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I quit to my previous employer and in that time I ask for a 401k cash out. That was in January 26 and yet today March 24, I ain't recive my paycheck. The 401k administrator answer my that the bank recived the paycheck request with the address info to send me the payment on February 23. But no payment yet at this date

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Like what?

The only think I wish to know is how long the bank should take to send the paycheck to the register address the plan administrator give them, and (is that were the case) how long should I wait for recive that payment before I decide for start a legal issue?
3/25/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Once the bank gets the request, it should take a few weeks. So, you would want to check with the bank to inquire why it is taking so long since it has been over a month.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

In legally terms; the bank has a limit of time to send that payment request?

I cannot find a statute regarding a requirement. This usually means that the time given is a "reasonable time" as determined by the courts. When courts consider what is reasonable, it usually means within 30 days. Since normal circumstances is a few weeks, anything over two weeks would be something to follow up upon.

I am showing that you have given my answer a negative rating, while at the same time I was providing an answer to your followup question. Yesterday was a holiday (for some people) so I was unable to get back online until this morning. Please consider re-rating at no additional charge to you.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney