I want to animate my favorite comic books and post them on…

Customer Question
I want to animate...

I want to animate my favorite comic books and post them on youtube. is that illegal

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado, aurora

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would I need copyrights to make these videos and can I be sponsored if I'm not charging for the video itself

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your copyright law question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your query in relation to publication of your work as a transformation from the original copyrighted work.

The most favorable way to do this is to apply for a license from the copyright owner.

In cases where the copyright has expired or the work is now in the public domain you may be able to proceed without a license.

In addition to these two remedies it is also possible publish your work notwithstanding the copyright holder's rights under the fair use doctrine.

You would have to check most of the boxes of the following statute for it to constitute fair use.

17 USC 107

"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1)

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2)

the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3)

the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4)

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors."

We are here to help; you can follow up with me on your query as required.

In return remember to rate my answer positively today.

As an independent legal expert I rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Best

Attorney Bill