I hired a lawyer in NC. for divorce. He made me sign a

I hired a lawyer...

I hired a lawyer in NC. for divorce. He made me sign a contract to where his fee is a percentage of my share of the equitable distribution. But my friends and online search says such a contract is illegal. Is that true? we are near the end.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NC family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The divorce is final but only equitable distribution remains

3/25/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal ethics question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your request. That is quite true and contingent fees in family law cases are prohibited by the American Bar Association.

ABA rule states the following:

"

(d) A lawyer shall not enter into an arrangement for, charge, or collect:

(1) any fee in a domestic relations matter, the payment or amount of which is contingent upon the securing of a divorce or upon the amount of alimony or support, or property settlement in lieu thereof; or"

So because you have a fee dispute with your attorney you file a complaint with the State Bar disputing this fee arrangement.

https://www.ncbar.gov/for-the-public/i-am-having-a-dispute-with-a-lawyer/filing-a-grievance/

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and get a credit for my time after you take the time to leave positive feedback.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the case is expected to be completed in a matter of days. Will it delay completion to file a grievance now? Should I wait for completion? I am afraid he may withdraw form the case if I file and It will cause delays. [He presented this contingency agreement in the middle of the case and said I could find another lawyer if I didn't agree.]

The grievance procedure is separate and doesn't effect your representation agreement.

Your lawyer must ask for your consent to resign or file a request with the court to withdraw and cannot just resign on his own accord.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer