I work for ’s Sporting Goods as a sales manager. Last Sunday…

I work for Dick’s...

I work for Dick’s Sporting Goods as a sales manager. Last Sunday night I had a knife pulled on me. It occurred in a fitting room minutes after closing our store. The perpetrator was a juvenile stealing a pellet gun. I yielded, and he ran out of the store. I filed a police report. The officer said they would shoot any kid pulling a look alike gun the young man stole. The young man returned 16 hours later to steal more. This time as the young man was leaving, I stood in his way leaving. I did put my forearm to his chest. Without direction from me, two associates came from behind and took his backpack. The backpack contained the gun he stole previously, stolen pellets and another knife. I was told that I’d probably be terminated for my actions. That was last Monday. On Wednesday, I was denied access to my payroll information. I questioned via email if my status had been changed without my notice. I had a situation 2 years ago where my pay increased, I inquired and told I had a raise. Two weeks later, they took my pay raise away without informing me. During that two week stretch I assisted my son purchase a car. The error caused me to overextend my credit, which has been a nightmare ever since. Since I thought I was being terminated, I sent an email to our District Manager requesting he cease making “creepy” comments to my female assistant. He quickly denied, claiming a full investigation was completed in 20 minutes and that I was “unhinged” and “off the rails”. I really do not want to work there anymore. My future is doomed. What can I do?? Please help. I do have notes, emails and some witnesses.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I would hope I could claim that the work environment is untenable, quit and file unemployment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Thank you

3/25/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
The termination is shocking where you should have been praised.Severance is a good approach. A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Compnany should want to avoid the risk and bad press for retaliation.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Good luck! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney