I have a garnish on my paystub that says cred garn cgpn not…

Customer Question
I have a garnish...

I have a garnish on my paystub that says cred garn cgpn not sure what they are garnishing for either

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing just noticed what it was saying on my paystub

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/25/2018
Lawyer: Attorney 1, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.In order for a garnishment to exist, there must first have been a court order. Before the judge can issue a court order, there must first be a hearing for which you are entitled to written notice and chance to defend. It doesn't sound like that happened for you.The first step will be to find out who got the order and placed the garnishment. Your employer may have a phone number or additional information attached to the garnishment. If he shares it with you, you can call the number and figure it out with that. Otherwise, you can go to your county court website and do a search with your name to see what comes up. You should be able to find the lawsuit that was filed against you and get the details of the filings, orders, etc. You will likely find that the order was entered by "default" which means you never responded to the lawsuit and the court issued the order in favor of the other party. This is very likely because you didn't receive the notice that was required by law. If this is the case, you can file a request to set aside the default with the court and proceed with the lawsuit. If successful in setting aside the default, the garnishment will be null and void. Even if you expect to lose the lawsuit, you should be able to settle with the other party and avoid future garnishment.Another option will be to file a claim of exemption which could diminish or eliminate the amount of garnishment. You will be able to list money that is "exempt" from garnishment. Exempt earnings will include money paid for child support, spousal support, other court ordered settlements, and can protect money needed for necessities. You should be able to obtain a claim of exemption form from your county court website.I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I will continue to provide assistance. If I have answered your question, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated. Five star ratings are especially appreciated.Good luck!Best,
Attorney 1

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help.

If I answered your question, please take a moment to rate the response. Five-star ratings are especially appreciated. Thank you!

Best,
Attorney 1