I verbally gave our small dog to a neighbor because I wanted…

Customer Question
I verbally gave our...

I verbally gave our small dog to a neighbor because I wanted a better home for her and know she needs constant companionship. After I did I realized that it was done hastily and that I was pressured by my daughter to give to the neighbor quickly as the neighbor seemed to be a good person. The neighbor knew I had the dog because my brother could not keep but he was actually selling the puppies they are from pure breed. After I gave the puppy to neighbor for no money in exchange nor anything written the neighbor started asking me for papers for the puppy or certificates of authenticity. I realized I made a big mistake and I asked for the puppy back and said I was so sorry I made a mistake the neighbor said No and that my brother who has the papers could go talk to them but that they had spent 100.00 on dog supplies so she was theirs. Can I do anything now?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No nothing puppy went over there yesterday in the morning. I asked for her back yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

San Jose CA

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately, since your neighbor already has the dog, there isn't anything that you can do at this point if the neighbor is not willing to give the dog back. You possibly could offer to pay for the dog supplies to get the dog back, but if the neighbor doesn't agree, they don't actually have to give the dog back.

There would be ways to get out of this if you had verbally agreed, but not actually given the dog. But the fact that your neighbor actually has the dog now means you are limited in your options.