My son went to court for nonpayment of rent. They received a…

Customer Question
My son went to...

My son went to court for nonpayment of rent. They received a legal judgement and was told how much to pay before the 26th. Today they went into pay it and they were told they needed to pay more money then what the judge said

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your son in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far?

He has been trying to pay them the judgment all day they said they refuse to take it because they are now adding on court fees which was already on the original court judgment and they are paying before the day assigned by the judge

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The assistant manager has told them to call their lawyer but they won’t be in until Monday which is when they are allowed to call a constable to change the locks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Is there anything we can do today
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

He only has to pay what the judge ordered... So if they refuse to accept it, he needs to make sure he has a money order or cashier's check dated prior to the due date to prove that he has the money. Then he needs to document he has tried to pay them by sending texts, emails, etc. to have proof.

.

Then he needs to convey to them that if they attempt to evict him, he will sue them for an illegal eviction because he has complied with the judge's orders to prevent the eviction.. That should scare them enough to hold off on taking any action.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Ok I’m in the office with them and they are getting a written letter saying that they are trying to pay but they refuse to accept it
This was their paperwork

That is excellent evidence to have to prove his case should they try to evict him and he ends up suing them for damages for an illegal eviction..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much