I have a boarding house/motel in New Jersey, and I have a…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a boarding house/motel in New Jersey, and I have a guest who stopped paying after 2 weeks, they pay weekly and are not on any sort of lease or contract, can I just change the locks on them if it is before 30 days?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There are no terms, people can stay daily or weekly, there wasn't any sort of deposit etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess that's it

3/24/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you are running a licensed boarding house and the occupants pay rent weekly, then they are considered week to week tenants and you are their landlord. Under the Rooming and Boarding House Act in NJ, the protections in the Anti-Eviction Act apply to rooming and boarding home residents. This means that these residents are entitled to the same protections as all other tenants.

.

So if they have stopped paying rent, you can give them an immediate notice of lease violation and to vacate the premises and then file a formal eviction case in the local court to get a judgment and a writ that the sheriff will execute to force them to leave.

.

.

thanks

Im actually unsure if the property is filed as a motel or a boarding house, if it is as a motel, then can I change the lock?
even if it is considered a boarding house, i believe there is a local ordinance that those stays can't be longer then 29 days anyways.

Motels have different rules and if a guest violates the rules, they can then be locked out and have the police or sheriff called to escort them from the premises.

.

But it depends entirely on what type of license you have as to what your options are..

Barrister, Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Managing Partner
Phone call session started
what time approximately can I expect the call?

The phone call offers are auto generated by the website, not me personally. I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible in writing.

.

However, if you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

Uh ok, I called the Previous owner, and they said the hotel it registered as a hotel/multi unit...