The police broke into my mothers house to serve a warrant on…

Customer Question
The police broke into...

The police broke into my mothers house to serve a warrant on my brother. My mother was there. My brother was hiding in closet. The police shot him twice. He’s in the hospital in icu. He’s had one surgery and will have another tomorrow. The dr and nurse talked to my mother at the hospital last night. There is an investigation. One bullet fired by an officer did ricochet and hit another officer. My brother was holding an ax handle but didn’t try to hurt officers. When we call the hospital they say that they do not have my brother there. Then they called and said they were doing exploratory surgery tomorrow but will not tell us the time or let my mother see him. He is unconscious. I know that he could die from the injuries. Is there any way we could get visiting rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

This happened in Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’m in North Carolina. My mother and aunt were the ones at the house and hospital last night when all this happened. They were denied access to him then. They have made calls to hospital with the hospital saying that they don’t have my brother. Then just received a call back from hospital with hospital stating that they were doing exploratory surgery tomorrow. They will not tell us any details. The police did cuff my mother last night but said she was not under arrest and they took a statement from her and released her. But this was after her witnessing them shoot her son point blank twice. My mother is in shock. She plans to go to hospital tomorrow. I want to know if we have more rights as to be updated on his condition. I’m afraid he will die and we won’t be notified or get to see him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My brother is addicted to meth. He had a warrant for failure to appear. He hasn’t been charged with any violent or drug related crimes. I don’t know what amount of drugs they found on him. I don’t think he would keep much in my mothers home but I don’t know for sure.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Legal
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Jonathan Holson,
 replied 26 days ago
Jonathan Holson
Hi. That sounds like a terrible situation. I’m sorry to hear about it. I’m sure your mom must be traumatized. I would assume that your brother is technically in police custody even though he is in the hospital. As a result, law enforcement would control the ability for your family to visit. Generally the hospital can’t communicate your brother’s condition unless he has authorized that to occur. But it’s not clear if he’s in the condition to provide that authorization.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
If someone is in critical condition and sedated does the family have any rights to visit ?
Lawyer: Jonathan Holson,
 replied 26 days ago
Generally speaking I would say yes, but I’m sure the situation differs if the individual is in police custody. I would reach out to the law enforcement agency to see if they will let you visit. I would hope they would following an appropriate search of the folks who are visiting.
Lawyer: Jonathan Holson,
 replied 26 days ago

Does that answer your question? Anything else that I can help with?

Lawyer: Jonathan Holson,
 replied 24 days ago

Was this helpful? If so, I would appreciate a five star rating.

Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson