I am being sued over a student loan that was taken out by my…

Hi - i am...

Hi - i am being sued over a student loan that was taken out by my daughter in 2000 for college. She was 17 at the time.so i had to co-sign the loan. she attented college for a few semesters the dropped out. i guess about 5 years ago she returned to school to get her bachelors. i would guess all this time she was either deferring or paying on the loan. she is fully capable of paying the loan but is now claiming the 'i was only 17 and didnt know what i was doing' and since my name is ***** ***** document as a co-signer has filed with the attorney general according to her, they told her to either file a police report or they will sue her as well as me. So now i am being sued. She obviously benefited from the loans and is now not taking responsiblility. i would like to unerstand my options in this mess - i dont want to get stuck paying on a loan that she benefited from and is capable of repaying. she is currently working as an employee for child protective services here in san antonio. I dont want any liens or judgmentsa against me because of her laziness. Help!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

This all just came to light on Thursday

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Since this all just happened i havent done anything other than trying to find some help or direction

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is the jist of it.

3/24/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
please provide some options....i am in san antonio, texas
1. You can sue the primary borrower to get contributio or indemnification. You can seek to negotiate terms with the creditor. You can also consider bankruptcy. Counsel can also negotiate. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
can i ask an question - the primary borrower is the Higher Department of Education - that is a bit scary
The debt falls on the primary and you can demand it cover. You also have the other options I mentioned above.
If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
sorry, i mistyped, the primary borrower is my daugter. how do i go about starting the action against the primary borrower. do i have to wait until i settle with department of education or can i start the process sooner?
Either way. You can settle first or demand the creditor wait.
Good luck!! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
thank you for the options. acceptable
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney