My daughter is 26 Year’s hold, she has my maiden name as a…

My daughter is 26...

My daughter is 26 Year’s hold , she has my maiden name as a middle name and her dad last name . Her dad passed away in 2003 , by suicide , she keeps saying that she feels more connected to my last name than to her dad, she is considering changing her last name to mine which is also her middle name , is this considered a valid reason according to state of Texas where we reside

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

No no

Lawyer's Assistant: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you? Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

My daughter 26 years old , wants to take my last name , which is already her middle name instead of the last name , her dad name since he passed away in thoses circumstances in 2003 , is it a valid reason in Texas can she do that

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None we just want to know if that acceptable according to the law first

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much do you charge

3/24/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Yes, she can change her name for whatever reason she wants as long as it is not in an attempt to avoid creditors or evade law enforcement... So she can simply say she just wanted to change it and that is a perfectly acceptable reason for a judge..

.

So yes, she can change her name at any time by filing a name change petition with the local court, advertising the notice in the paper for the required amount of time, then attending a short hearing where the judge confirms that her reason is not improper and issues the order for the name change.

.

.

thanks

Ok gréât how long is the process usually
Thank you very much

Once she files the petition, it is normally around a month to a month and a half, depending on the court's schedule.. She can see the general instructions here:

.

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/article/how-to-get-a-legal-name-change-in-texas.rl

.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney