If someone is required to have an interlock device on their…

Customer Question
If someone is required...

If someone is required to have an interlock device on their car and I permit them to drive my car which does NOT have an interlock device, what are the penalties for me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I’m not sure what you mean

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I have not found a criminal penalty per se for such conduct, though there may be one. The real concern in a scenario like this one is that if you knew the other person was required to use an interlock device, your car did not have one, yet you still permitted that person to drive your vehicle, you could be found to be liable for any damages in an accident or other injury-causing incident on the theory in North Carolina of negligent entrustment. Rather than being liable for the other person's conduct, this theory imposes direct responsibility on you for negligently providing equipment, such as a motor vehicle, to someone you should have reasonably known was not a proper person to permit to use (in other words, not trained, responsible, otherwise able to competently drive the car). In a situation where someone is required to have an interlock device and you knew that, negligent entrustment in the event of any incident would likely be a big possibility. If you did not know until after of the interlock requirement imposed on that driver, you may have a good defense. Ultimately the responsibility to ensure every vehicle driven has an interlock device is the driver's obligation, but as described above there are situations where you could be held responsible.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.