I work for an at-will organization in New York state who has…

Hello: I work...

Hello: I work for an at-will organization in New York state who has been merged into another at will organization in NY state. My position has been eliminated , but duties given to another colleague who is younger (I am 67) and not as competent. My boss, who eliminated my position wants me to tell everyone that i am retiring rather than say my position is eliminated. I have always contended that i am not retiring nor am i resigning. My question : are any of my legal rights being violated and why the strong desire to try to get me to say that i am retiring.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not a lawyer until now

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is good for now

3/24/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - Do you have any of these things in writing? Your boss trying to have you lie?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
no - my subordinates tell me
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
he has pressured me as well

Thank you for your information - unfortunately it is a difficult thing to prove that you have been discriminated against because of your status as an at will attorney. However, if that is the route you want to go - the first step would be to get your coworkers to write down specifically what they have been told/heard concerning your position. Then, go to your company HR to make a complaint about wrongful termination and workplace harassment. Once that has been completed, contact a civil attorney and he can bring a suit against your employer. It will be for wrongful termination, discrimination (based on your age), and workplace harassment.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
thank you

Can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
You were very helpful- thanks
DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer