My uncle parole suitability hearing was postponed May 12,

Customer Question
My uncle parole suitability...

My uncle parole suitability hearing was postponed May 12, 2004, then on June 12, 2006 again postponed. He was eligible for parole in 1994, he has not been in trouble during his time in prison but, never gets granted parole. In fact when the prison no longer could afford for a pastor to come for church meetings, some inmates asked my uncle if he would continue teaching Bible study to them. Can someone look at my uncl

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

Muder, I do not know what appeals been exhausted means

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the murder occur?

Can I give you his CDCR# ***** you can look at his parole hearing history?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

California

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, the US Supreme Court has held that there is no fundamental right to parole. So the fact that the state keeps putting off your uncle's suitability hearing is not something that the courts would likely want to get invoved with. Parole looks at what an offender does in prison, and your uncle seems to be doing well there. But they also consider many other factors, such as the feelings of the judge, the prosecutor and the family of the victim, the results of psychological assessments, his participation in various programs, the seriousness of his offense, the facts and circumstances of that offense and the risk that if released he will reofffend.

About the only thing he can do is to keep applying for his hearing and get a criminal lawyer who specializes in parole issues to put together an impressive packet that may sway the board to consider him