My question is. Is it legal for a Real Estate agent to deny…

My question is. Lawyer's...

My question is.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Is it legal for a Real Estate agent to deny me information about
a property that is listed for sale unless I give them all my information as to
where and who I am getting Financing from?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Herrin ,Il.

3/24/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Are they representing you? Are they asking if you are prequalified?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Need the information before I can make an offer! Below is a list of the correspondence to this point . She has chosen not to answer any more .
1. Dear Ms. Cox In order for me to put together my Loan
package I need the following items listed below.1.A copy of the land plat. Got it
2.A copy of the P and L statement.
3.Pictures of the apartments inside and out.
4.How many apartments are rented? Got it
5.How much each apartment rents for?
6.How much is the insurance per year?
7.Tax per year?
If I can get this information we can move forward
if not I thank You for Your time and service.2.***@******.*** via yahoo.com
Mar 15 (9 days ago)
to me
Dear Mr Glasper:Thank you for responding with your in-depth request for information. As I begin my follow up, I will need to speak to the party that you will be using to finance this transaction. I understand you are needing to put this information together to prepare for your loan package. Therefore I need to know who that lender or financier is. Contact detail is important and part of our operating practice. I look forward to assisting you fully and appreciate you getting back with me with that information as quickly as possible so that I may begin compiling the information to assist you fully.The email I sent you with the plats, also had a listing sheet with it showing the annual real estate taxes of $45,588.Look for another email from me, and I will send you the MLS listing that has photos for you.Respectfully,***** *****
Century 21, House of Realty, Inc3. Elwood Glasper <*****@******.***>
Mar 21 (3 days ago)
to lcox60
MS. Cox could send me a copy the Rent roll and Profit and loss statement for 1100 Duncan apartments and a copy of your Company Policy about getting my Finance information.Hope to here back soon;
Elwood Glasper***@******.***
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
34;I like everything in writing it helps to remember !"
Thank you for the reply. It is not uncommon for a realtor to want to see that a buyer is prequalified before showing them homes and spending the time with them, since they want to make sure they are looking at homes which they can afford. If you merely want to see homes, they should be able to provide you general information if you want to make an offer but it appears they want to know that you are pre qualified before they put in the time , effort and work to prepare all this.
In a situation like this as well you can always make an offer BUT make it conditioned upon receiving and being able to review all of these things and having time to cancel the offer within a certain time frame for any reason.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Do you offer to buy a Car without Knowing if it has a motor ?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I never asked for a showing yet ?
I agree but what is the issue with providing a letter from your lender showing that you are prequalified?
If the realtor is going to produce all this information they need to know there is a qualified and sound buyer.
If yuh do not want to send it you do not have to but it allows all parties to know they are dealing with a legitimate situation
Have you met the realtor? Why have you not seen the property yet?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
This issue never came up until they found out that I am a African American from East St. Louis,IL.
The financials and other information are private and confidential. They do not just have to be turned over and a seller can first demand to know that the buyer is qualified and legitimate. There is nothing wrong about asking for this prior to turning it over and a seller wanting to know if the person has the funds to get the deal done. If you think they are discriminating against you, that is a different issue and you could file a complaint against the realtor to look into their actions.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
If it looks like a Duck and Walks like a Duck and Quacks like a Duck !
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks for your Time and Service.
You are welcome and please let me know if there is anything else as I would be happy to respond.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney