I'm wondering if I can just hand over my deed to a relative…

I'm wondering if I...

I'm wondering if I can just hand over my deed to a relative with whom I co-own a house we inherited together from my mom? The co-owner has been uncooperative, spends money on house repairs, refuses to ask me about them first and won't show me any bills. She's now dragging her feet on selling the house, she won't buy me out, won't sell to me and won't sell together with me. A colleague told me today to just give her the deed and walk away from any possible monies I could get from a sale. What do you think? she's also planning on replacing the roof and spending thousands of dollars without my consent. I've already thought about partition since we don't get along and won't anytime soon.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

We just have an agent but she won't let the agent in the house. she's mad that we are using someone else other than her lady friend to whom she demonized me several years ago and the agent can't stand me and came short of telling me to leave the co-owner alone and get out of the house. The co-owner lied to this lady telling her she owned the house outright and I had no interest in it. We own 50/50 since Dec 2012.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Just that I don't have the money to spend on all these repairs and have not agreed to many of them. The co-owner makes the decisions with her husband who is NOT an heir to anything. He hated both my parents and they didn't like him either.

3/24/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your real property question this evening. I'm attorney Bill answering your legal query today. If you are a co-owner to a property that you cannot come to agreement with the other owner by agreement in terms of a sale or buyout there is the option to apply to the court for a judicial remedy.

This type of civil action is a partition action requesting the court to divide your shared interests in the property.

The court upon request has the power to order the sale or transfer of the property into one person's name in return for a fair market sale price.

You would file a civil partition action with the circuit court.

If you wish to transfer the deed 'hand over the deed' you need to execute a deed that is signed witnessed and notarized so that title can be transferred in the property.

You would construct a quit claim or warranty deed in this regard.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return your positive feedback gives me a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
3
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No live phone call. Actually I know about the partitioning. I just want to know if I can just hand over my share of the deed to this co-owner and walk away or does she have the option of rejecting it?Thank you for your help.

Thanks for your follow up.

You would need to execute a deed to effect title, not just hand over title as you put it.

The deed should also be recorded in the land and property registry.

The process is outlined here:

https://www.wikihow.com/File-a-Quitclaim-Deed-in-Florida

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer