A former customer wrote a bad review on-line about me and it…

A former customer wrote...

A former customer wrote a bad review on-line about me and it has tarnished my reputation with my clients and would like to pursue a libel case

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Disputing the review with Google

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That would be it

3/24/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; there have been successful instances of companies suing customers for defamatory reviews.

Slander and Libel are forms of defamation (slander is oral, libel is written).
Basically a defendant can be liable for defamation if the defendant
1. publishes a statement
2. to a third party
3. that puts plaintiff in a false light
and
4. plaintiff suffers harm as a result of the false statement.
There is defamation per se-meaning that malice and damages generally need not be proven, as the statement is so hurtful/derogatory they are assumed to be damaging.
These involve statements that address:
1. chastity (so sexual misconduct)
2. criminal misconduct
3. indiciating a person had a loathsome or contagious disease
or
4. conduct that is inconsistent with one's profession or business.

The courts do allow for opinions to be expressed in most circumstances but it must clearly be an opinion as opposed to a fact/statement.

The court can issue an injunction that the review is to be removed, along with damages, which may include punitive damages if the court determines the defendant acted with malice.

Mine would fall under #4 I'm in sales and it's damaging my ability to secure new clients could I hire an attorney to send a letter to the poster to remove the review or I will persure further action.....

Yes, it is possible to first send a retraction request via a cease and desist letter and if that does not work then filing suit;

The state bar has a legal referral service- please see:

https://www.floridabar.org/public/lrs/

Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it!

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer