I am asking on behalf of my sister who is a freshman at a…

Customer Question
Hello, I am asking...

Hello, I am asking on behalf of my sister who is a freshman at a university. She lost her school ID prior to the recent snow storm and was not allowed into the dining hall for two days because all offices to provide her with a temporary or new ID were closed. She had her license and her name is ***** ***** her ID number which the facility had access to. According to the university policy she should have been let in, however she wasn't. The university was closed for two days, so that is two days this child spent without food (only the snacks in her dorm) until I was able to drive down and give her cash to order. The VP of student affairs apologized to her today but I am not satisfied. Can legal action be taken for this poor treatment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an ID lawyer about this?

No, I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

On the first day it happened, I called and spoke to the front desk worker who would not let her in. As a former student I knew she should have been able to get in temporarily with her license. The worker would not let her in, I asked to speak with the manager who was no where to be found and the worker refused to contact him. I proceeded to email the HR office and call the office of residential life for which I got no answer. I left a voice message and was contacted today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, the cost of tuition for Monmouth is somewhere around $54,000 a year and the meal plan is $6,000 per year on average so I find it pretty unreasonable that this child who we are paying so much money to attend this school, received no food for two days. The VP of student affairs called me today in response to my message to human resources but it hardly seems enough

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am terribly sorry to hear this. That is not acceptable. Unfortunately from a legal perspective a plaintiff can only sue for actual damages in breach of contract cases so if the court found the school breached their obligation to provide meals normally the allowed judgment would be for actual economic damages, which would be the cost of purchasing replacement food.
In contract cases the court does not consider other damages such as pain and suffering. If no food was purchased one could receive compensation via a refund for missed meals.I am sure this does not seem adequate but in contract law generally the court is restricted in what they may order unless the court finds a clause in the contract to provide additional damages. I am sorry I don't have better news.
Okay, thank you anyway

You are most welcome; I certainly wish I had better news.

Hopefully your sister's other experiences have been more positive as I'm sure that was disappointing.

If no further questions kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it; thank you and take care.