Can you sue a telemarketer for harassment? Delaware. None. I…

Customer Question
Can you sue...

Can you sue a telemarketer for harassment?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Delaware

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I have been receiving the same call for over a month and have asked twice to take me off their phone list. I have just started to note the date and times since the 19th of the month and I get at least one call a day and sometimes more. The call back number is ***** non working number, but I must have caught them off guard one time when I called back to request to be taken off. Today I got a mans name, but who knows that too could be wrong.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all I can tell you for now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I can empathize with that-

fortunately the Telephone Consumer Protection Act provides for penalties after the first call, after the caller places their number on the do not call list.
Basically the consumer can sue for violations in amounts of $500 per call; or up to $1500 per call if the call was willful (with knowledge that the consumer did not wish further contact).

Small claims is appropriate for cases up to $15,000 -

please see:

https://courts.delaware.gov/help/proceedings/jp_startcivil.aspx