My husband has taken all the money from me being that I am a…

Customer Question
My husband has taken...

My husband has taken all the money from me being that I am a stay at home mom I now have no income. I looked at the resources for low income attorney but they only take cases linked to domestic violence... is there anywhere else I can find a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No...

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can’t afford a attorney out of pocket I have a daughter. I just don’t know what to do

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2018
Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. However, there are several things that you can do to find an attorney.

First, the Missouri State Bar has a resources and a lawyer locator - link here. As well there is a resource called FreeLegalAnswers for Missouri residents. If you qualify you can speak to a volunteer lawyer.

As well, just because you have not been able to find a pro bono attorney does not mean there is not help. In Missouri you may be entitled to have a Court order your spouse to pay your attorneys' fees. This is surprising to many, but it is common. As a result of this, many attorneys will take cases knowing that this will be the method by which they receive their fees. I would suggest looking around on the two sites I recommended and following up with attorneys on this to get things going.

You are not the first person to have this issue and as a result there are things that can be done to help.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.