I need to acquire my birth certificate for retirement

Hello, I need to...

Hello, I need to acquire my birth certificate for retirement purposes. Currently and for some time I am using my birth name Morrill, but the cert is sealed and the adopted name Kramer remains. I wish to legally change my name to my original birth name. Please advise.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Born in Massachusetts

3/23/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. Once your birth certificate changes due to adoption that is your legal birth certificate and it will not be changed. You can go through the legal process of changing your name to whatever name you would like to use. The court order will permit you to change your name on your social security account and government issued Id cards, passports etc. Where in CA do you reside?

San Diego. My SSN, CA Driver License etc are in my birth name already since 1984. I lost my original Birth Certificate and need to get another.

That helps. Your original birth certificate is no longer available because of the adoption. A court ordered name change would be your option at this point.

What forms must I get?

Once you have a court order you can request the name change to your existing birth certificate.

OK

I can provide a link for Attorneys in your area that handle the matters and provide FREE consultations. I can also provide an overview of the process ans see if the forms are available online.

OK yes

Please give me a few moments so I can provide you with helpful information.

Thank you very much.

I have more. This is the process to amend the birth certificate with the court order https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHSI/CDPH%20Document%20Library/ADA_Court%20order%20name%20change%20(01-18).pdf

You are most welcome.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Thank you very much.